Dating Advice & Guidelines
It is always exciting when you meet someone new, but remember that dating is about getting to know a person, and deciding on whether you want to find out more about them. You might decide that you don't want to see them again, or it might be the start of a new romance. Here are some guidelines to help keep you safe, when dating, or meeting new friends.
1. ALWAYS tell someone if you are meeting up with someone. Tell them where you are going, what time you are meeting and what time you plan to get home.
2. Plan your first meeting with someone during the daytime or early evening, as it is easier to get home during these times if there are any problems.
3. Always arrange to meet in a public place, such as a cafe, restaurant or coffee shop.
4. Do not give anyone your personal information on a first meeting, such as your home or work address (especially if you have children)
5. Do not give someone your phone number on a first meeting if you do not want to (home or mobile numbers).
6. Do not give anyone your bank details or passport. These are yours and no one else's.
7. Always make sure that you have a safe way of getting home and that you have organised appropriate transport (e.g. do you know where to catch the bus home if meeting in a different town).
8. Make sure that if you have a mobile phone, it is fully charged and has credit on it, so that you can make a call if you need someone to come and collect you.
9. If you do not have a mobile phone, make sure you have some change in case you need to make a phone call.
10. You NEVER have to kiss, cuddle, touch someone or let them touch you, or have sex, unless you are ready.
11. Always ask if you want to kiss, cuddle or touch someone, and respect them if they say no.
12. If you do not like someone, tell them in a nice way. Don't be rude
13. If someone tells you that they don't like you, accept it and move on.
14. Watch your drinks at all times. If you think it looks or tasted funny or different, do not drink it. Leave it and buy another one if you want.
15. Be yourself and enjoy the experience of meeting someone new.